Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

What It's Really Like to Use Reusable Menstrual Pads During Your Period



Did you know that sanitary pads is made of 90% plastic and a pack of menstrual pads is equivalent to 4 plastic bags? Since I transitioned to a sustainable lifestyle the feminine products were one of the switches that took longer than the usual. I had to ask a few people in my community on their thoughts about using these pads. After a long travel, I finally took the leap and turned my back to disposable sanitary pads. Here are my thoughts:

Pros

They don't leak. This was one of my main concerns when I thought of switching to reusable menstrual pads. I had a leak during my first try but it was because it was improperly placed. But when I finally figured out how to securely place the pad, I was 100% leak free.

They don't smell weird. We girls know that smell. When I shopped for reusable pads, I specifically chose the bamboo charcoal pads for odor control.

They're very comfy and make periods less stressful. I honestly dread the red days. I dislike disposable napkins because they make me feel gross and uncomfortable. But the reusable pads are breathable and it feels like a cushion or sometimes it feels like you have nothing down there at all.

They don't give me menstrual cramps and skin rashes. Did you know that disposable pads are made of synthetic chemicals and sometimes mixed with artificial fragrances? Simply a recipe for side effects of hormone disruption, allergic reactions and more. This might be TMI but I used to visit my OB-GYN because of menstrual cramps and skin rashes, but I never experienced it when using the reusable pads.

They give you an intimate chance to get to know your body. That statement was a bit weird but what I'm trying to say is when I washed the pads, I get to see how much blood left my body (which wasn't much at all). In addition, I didn't experience any menstrual cramps or irritation which I have been battling for years. I thought it had something to do with my diet or stress, but I personally think the pads was somewhat one of the causes.

They save me loads of money. I did the math and I spent less than a total of Php 600 (approx $12) on my reusable menstrual pads that would last me probably 3 years. Before, I would spend Php 85 (less than $2) every month. Not that much, but if I didn't switch to reusables, I would have spent Php 3060 (approx $62) for the next three years instead of the Php 600 once.

You're saving mother earth. The primary reason I shifted to reusable menstrual pads where to stop contributing plastic in the landfill. These disposable pads take a thousand years to decompose, maybe never.

You help small businesses. Most reusable pads in the Philippines are sustainably sourced by local stores made by women from indigenous or small communities.

Cons

They take some time to clean. And that is the only downside that I have seen with reusable pads. I was mostly at home during the start of my period, changing and washing the pads were a breeze. If you're out and about, you probably have to store it in a washable dry bag and handle it when you get home. It took a while for me to finally use the reusable pads because I was constantly traveling and living in hotels or bed spacers. Probably this year, I would be trying out menstrual cups for these types of cases.

Tips

1. Choose the right detergent to clean your pads. Use powdered or liquid detergent that is tested by dermatologists, fragrance and colorant free as well as harmless to both to you and the environment. I recommend the Human Nature Powder Detergent or Liquid Detergent.

2. Buy what you need. Prevent buying too many pads. I have 6 overnight pads, 5 regular pads, and 3 panty liners, which lasted for 5 days of period. They seem a lot but I like to sun dry the pads to make sure it won't smell funky.

3. Buy a washable dry bag to store used pads. 






Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar