My last post was a little too serious for my taste, so I thought I'd visit with my father in law again. He loved history, in fact he was reading a book on Omar Bradley when he died. So I know he died happy. During one talk he was telling me how the Germans had the best tank, and I commented that I bet he had seen a lot of them. A few he replied but there was one he'd never forget.He was a forward observer in Patton's 3rd Army in 1944. He called in air strikes, but Patton was moving so fast he had to hustle to stay ahead. He was speeding down a narrow road in a jeep with a brand new 2nd Lieutenant riding shotgun. He slowed for a blind hairpin turn around a building . Not slow enough . after rounding the building they slammed into the side of a Tiger Tank. He's trying to back out, and the Lieutenant just staring wide eyed at the tank's machine gun. Then he quickly realized two things. The crew and the Tiger had already given the last full measure of devotion to the Fatherland , and the 2nd Looy had soiled himself. " My God what must of been going through your mind at that moment"."Well" he replied in his deep baritone drawl," I had almost done what that Lieutenant did and was damn glad I hadn't".

0 Yorumlar